Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe

To my 2 followers: So sorry I didn't get my Blueberry Coffee Cake up last night! I got involved in watching an old episode of "Secret Life of an American Teenager" and when I got finished I was too tired and went up to bed! I know! This show is a little "young" for me and fairly annoying at times, but once you start a show, and get involved, it's hard to stop! Last week there was a marathon of last season's "Secret Life" and we DVR'd it, so we have a huge amount of them taking up memory and need to watch them and get them out of the way. (Then we can start watching this season - hee hee!)

Anyway, here is the recipe:

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Ingredients for topping:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Ingredients for cake:
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel (I found dried grated orange peel in the spice section - so much easier than grating an orange!)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter, (I use salted) cut into slices
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x9 inch baking pan.

For topping: Stir all ingredients together in a bowl until blended. Set aside.

For cake: Whisk eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and orange peel in small bowl.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg. Using fingertips, rub butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles course meal. Stir in buttermilk mixture just until blended. Fold in blueberries.

Spread batter into greased pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over the top. Bake about 55 minutes, or until toothpick stuck into center comes out clean.

This cake is absolutely YUMMY served warm, but, as I said before, it is still deliciously moist the next day! Enjoy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I have some frozen blueberries and need to use them, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good Patti. :-)
    To bad I'm dieting (again) or I would make it ASAP. I have some blueberries in the freezer. I hate always dieting. I wish I could bake and have a bite every day! :-)

    I have never seen that tv show before. Sounds cute.

    P.S. You could have more readers & they choose not to click the follow button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm sounds Good Makes me want to come over for Coffee!!!

    ReplyDelete